Saturday, October 10, 2009

Stonehenge

Yesterday was the trip to Stonehenge. It's about two hours southwest of London and we filled the time with discussing the different theories about why it's there, who put it there, was it for religious purposes, and a ton of others. They were entertaining, if not really plausible.

This is the view from my kitchen every morning. As you can tell by the storm clouds, it rained all day. But the clouds make for a gorgeous sunrise.

Stonehenge really is in the middle of a field. You're just driving on the motorway, through sheep and cow infested fields, and all of a sudden it's right there on the side of the road. Kind of took us by surprise.

16 ton monoliths. Absolutely huge.



I took about 200 pictures while we were here from pretty much every angle. It was way, way cool.

Ancient engineering really is very fascinating.

The Salisbury chapel is about ten miles away from Stonehenge. The entire chapel went from idea to completed building in just 38 years in 1258! Absolutely amazing.

The worlds oldest clock. It doesn't have a face and only chimes the hour but was still cool to see.

Some guy named Handle lived in this little archway room and composed something called "Messiah" while living here. Handle's "Messiah"? It rings a bell, doesn't it?
;)

4 comments:

  1. Oh no. You're taking back to Music 201 or something like that. I HATED that class! WAY too much wasted time studying for that nonsense! ... Well... unless you're a music major I guess.

    STONEHENGE! A few weeks ago I was trying to remember the name of that place, or architecture, or whatever it is... How random! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember visiting stonehenge, it was pretty amazing! glad to see you're getting plenty use of your griffindor scarf : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures, Em! Did you have a tourguide with you to explain things? Do they have any theories about how the monoliths were built? I think that Stonehenge would have been one of the highlights of England for me. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is absolutely the best blog I have ever seen. waaaaaay better than the basketblogs I've been known to scope.

    glad you're having so much fun.

    ReplyDelete